California high school soccer game stained by ‘blatantly racist’ heckling

Players, coaches and managers were furious and sought for answers after two incidents of “blatant racist” heckling during a California post-season high school soccer match on Saturday night. rice field. According to a report from Sacramento Bee..

After playing football between Oak Ridge (El Dorado Hills) and Buchanan (Clovis) for more than 95 minutes in the Northern California Division I Championship game, Buchanan’s Daisy Torres footed on the line after a penalty shootout was drawn by 1. I stepped in. Hispanic Torres came across the barking noise of a dog from the crowd.

After Torres missed the kick, her teammate Black Ciara Wilson stepped into the sound of a gorilla. Wilson, a commitment of Fresno State University, Fresno, transformed her kick and immediately pointed to officials at the Oak Ridge Stand.

“When a quiet stadium suddenly fills with gorilla sounds for African-American students, I don’t know you’ll be any more racist,” said Jasara Gillette, director of Buchanan. I told Bee. “It changed all the mood. After that moment my player was visibly emotional. I have never experienced such a thing.”

Oak Ridge continued to win the penalty shootout 4-2, but that moment was polluted by what happened in the bleachers. Oak Ridge head coach Reno Chimienti told Bee that his players were approaching to provide support to Buchanan players after the match.

Aaron Palm, Principal of Oak Ridge, said the incident was “painful” and was planning to begin an investigation to reach the “bottom of this.” He said there were too many students in the bleachers on Saturday to determine who committed the heckler.

“One incident does not define a school, but when this happens, it does,” Palm told Bee. “The words that come to mind are: Tired, embarrassed, sad. We are confident in the complete investigation that we will be able to determine who it is. Bring all the students in the section to the office one at a time to underlie and take responsibility for this problem. “

Gillette was disappointed that the Oakhill administration did not take swift action at this time.

“If they didn’t intend to identify the student, the stand should have been cleared,” Gillette told Bee. “The administration has disappointed the team, the players, and their families. It was said that it was more important to continue this game by not stopping and doing nothing. They did nothing and checked us. When we didn’t come, we felt like our team should have left. We should have been there right away. “

What do you think?

Written by Fem Society

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

What I learned from the SEC tournament

New Toronto Six owner slams PWHPA for ‘suppressing’ women’s hockey